Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 19:28:43 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>, dmiller@search.sparks.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gigabit ethernet support?

Bill Paul wrote:

> Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Charles Randall
> had to walk into mine and say:
>
> > Bill Paul has developed a driver for the Alteon Tigon 1 and 2 cards.
> >
> >       http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/Alteon/
> >
> > FYI,
> > Charles

We have two of the NetGear GA620's here, and they work quite nicely.  I use
them for testing throughput via Gig-E on our switches.  Mine is running in
a lowly PII/233, on a 32-bit x 33 Mhz slot, and can push bits at 320 Mbps.
The GA620 will work in any 32 or 64 bit, 33 or 66 Mhz slot.  A 64x66 slot
would probably speed things up appreciably.

They're relatively cheap, too, going for $339 at DataComm Warehouse.

I'm still working on those Packet Engine cards, Bill.  They're really quite
disorganized and difficult to work with up there in Spokane...

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com