Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 15:06:36 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How fast are Linksys cards?

On 28 May 99, at 11:10, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> I have an NT box here and the max xmit over a Linksys 10/100 card
> (with the Linksys chipset) is push ~3.3MB/sec and pull 2.8MB/sec
> to FreeBSD machines with fxp cards.

> My question is:

> How does FreeBSD do with these cards? can i expect such abysmal
> performance on FreeBSD as well?  Or is it just NT's driver, or NT
> itself being a dog?

> Note i can get over 11MB/sec between FreeBSD machines with the
> fxp cards I have....

> My "benchmark" was just ftp'ing files to/from NT box with the
> command line ftp program...

Can't comment on FreeBSD, since I don't have one of the LinkSYS
cards in a FreeBSD box.  I do have one in a NetWare 4.11 server
though, and consistently get more than 70mbps on benchmarks.  I do
slightly better with it than I do with Intel's Pro 100+ cards.

However, LinkSYS' laptop cards are best avoided....

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
    ROFL: Really Odd Foreign Language...?