Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 1997 13:56:46 GMT
From:      jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3com 3c509 card

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997 21:48:18 +1030, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
wrote:

>Correct.  However 0WS operation was recently enabled for the 'ed'
>driver and WD cards, but it had to be backed out for reliability
>reasons.

Ah, you didn't mention that before.  I would like to review the
changes to enable 0WS in the 'ed' driver with the hope of getting my
cards to work at 0WS.  Can you tell me where to find those changes?

I've got the databook for the chipset on that 486 motherboard I
mentioned earlier, the one I'm running at 50MHz local bus and 12MHz
ISA bus.  I'm going to poke around in the chipset registers to see how
fast I can make it run without exploding.  It has 8 ISA slots, so who
knows, maybe I can jam six SMC Ultra ethernet adapters, a video card,
and a disk controller in the thing and set a record for ISA bus
ethernet routing.  I've got to do something with all these SMC Ultra
adapters stacked up in my closet. :-)

>The only other cards that I've met with 0WS jumpers have had
>loud warnings in the manual involving fire and the loss of your
>first-born.

If the hardware ain't smoking, IT'S RUNNING TOO SLOW!

John