Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:53:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Harti Brandt <harti@freebsd.org>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems in NATM0 and NG0 interfaces

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 Donatas_G./LRTC@lrtc.net wrote:

Hello,

>> You CAN use hatm with harp. Just list your interfaces in the
>> natm_interfaces variable in /etc/rc.conf. For example:
>> natm_interfaces="hatm0 hatm1"
>
> hmm....but in NOTES file, there is a comment before describing hatm driver:
>
> "ATM realated options (Canor version)
> This driver cannot be used with HARP ATM stack"
>
> it seems to be true, as it is not possible to create virtual ATM interfaces
> using ATM command.
>
> Truth, atmconfig seems to be working with hatm driver, but HOW to create
> virtual ATM interfaces using that command line?I did not found anything
> realated to virtual interfaces it manual of atmcinfig.

Well, as I said, you need to load if_harp:

kldload if_harp

AFTER loading if_hatm.

The you will see an hatm0 physical interface via 'atm show interface'. This
interface should behave exactly like other HARP interfaces. The comment
in NOTES is insofar correct as you cannot directly use hatm with HARP, but you
need the if_harp pseudo-driver between.

>>> We've tried to attach iface type ng nodes (inet or atm hooks) to hatm0,
> but
>>> no atm parametres was possible to set to ng interfaces.
>>> can anyone tell a short way in crating different ng atm interfaces?
>
>> Generally this is done with the atmconfig tool (see natmip(4) and the
>> natm sub-command of atmconfig(8)).
>
> we are now going to try it
>

> ps: thanx for netgraph example. It really works fine. But vpi parameter is
> not accepted by hatm0 using cpscinit {name="hook" all=5 vpi=5 vci=5} -
> interesting why?In ng_atm manual, in cpcsinit explenation there is such
> parametter described. Also we cannot create vlan's yet, because IFACE Inet
> type nodes are not ethernet nodes. So we'r going to try to use eiface-type
> nodes instead of iface.

You may want to change HE_CONFIG_VPI_BITS and HE_CONFIG_VCI_BITS in
/usr/src/sys/dev/hatm/if_hatmconf.h (the sum must be 12 so you must change
both). Currently it is configured for 2 VPI bits. That gives you a maximum VPI
of 3.

harti

PS: your e-mail address seems not to work. Mail sent directly to you is
bounced. harti.