Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:20:23 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inetd and wrapping.

On Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:13:49 +0100, David Malone wrote:

> I got one person who suggested a flag in inetd.conf which could disable
> wrapping for a service. This seems like quite a good idea if we can come
> up with an acceptable syntax for the flag.

What I have in mind is a -w option. Specified once, it disables wrapping
of internal services. Specified twice, it disables wrapping altogether.

It's a pity we went forward the way we did, making wrapping the default
for STABLE. I'd have preferred leaving it disabled by default, for
maximum backward compatibility. However, now that we're here, I think
it'll be a very confusing move to make non-wrapping behaviour the
default.

There's already a flag in inetd.conf called inetd_flags, in which the
administrator could place her "-w" or "-w -w" as desired.

Ciao,
Sheldon.

PS: My request for feedback wasn't about the command-ling options. It
    was about the handling of UDP connections. :-)