Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 10:58:47 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI card to choose

>  > > Huh?  Adaptec give their drivers away with their hardware, just like
>  > > everyone else.
>  >
>  > Not really.  You have to buy them if you want drivers for anything but
>  > hard-disks, ie; CD-ROM support.
>
> My Adaptecs (1542, 2940) came with those drivers (HD, CD-ROM,
> even for removable media such as MO drives) and a bunch of
> tools for partitioning, formatting and verifying drives, a
> simple CD audio player, and other stuff I never needed.

Mind didn't.  Which version did you buy, cause the 1542B did *NOT* come
with them by default, since you had to buy EZ-SCSI separately. :(

(Although, back then Adaptec provided an 'upgrade' on their ftp site
which was a simple lzh archive which would give you the newest versions
of the software, which I use to read the CD on my 10MB RAMDISK that I
create from a DOS boot floppy. :)

> Of course, the bulk versions of the adapters don't come with
> those drivers -- that's why they're called "bulk".

This wasn't a 'bulk driver', but the 'standard' retail package for the
card that I bought.  You *can* buy the card with drivers, but as stated
Adaptec charges more for the card with the drivers than w/out, hence
proving the original assertion that Adaptec does indeed charge for their
drivers.

Nate