Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:43:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      "R. B. Riddick" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
To:        rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror issues (fdisk?, disklabel?, newfs?)

--- "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 10:18:12AM -0800, R. B. Riddick wrote:
> >
> > On R6.1 it works like it should:
>
> I've seen just the opposite behavior, in 6.2-R.  Once geom_mirror is
> loaded, I can't use bsdlabel or fdisk:

Ohoh... [Tubby play with pudding-machine...]^2

Since I do not want to use my DSL flat-rate too much, I did not test 6.2-RC1...
But I will try R6.2, as soon as possible...

> # boot0cfg -B ad1
> boot0cfg: /dev/ad1: Geom not found
> boot0cfg: write_mbr: /dev/ad1: No such file or directory

Hmm... The error message is misleading...
But it is OK, that /dev/ad1 cannot be opened for writing as soon as gmirror
uses it as a consumer, because: gmirror has no chance to notice changes that go
directly to /dev/ad1, so that /dev/ad0 would stay unchanged (and so possibly
the mirror is not sync'ed and gmirror does not mention that immediately).

> # gmirror status
>       Name    Status  Components
> mirror/gm0  COMPLETE  ad0
>                       ad1

see above

> # boot0cfg -B /dev/mirror/gm0
> boot0cfg: /dev/mirror/gm0: Geom not found
> boot0cfg: /dev/mirror/gm0: ioctl DIOCSMBR: Operation not permitted

This is strange, because: gmirror should certainly allow write access to its
devices (providers)... Sounds really strange...

Luckily someone mentioned that before R6.2... :-)

> So, once you enable any geom layer, you no longer have write access to the
> boot blocks or otherwise.  This has been broken ever since GEOM was
> introduced in 5.0.  I've been bitten many times by this in:  gmirror,
> gvinum, gpt, glabel, etc.

Hmm... But why does it work here on my box with R6.1?
I just used boot0cfg on my /dev/ad0, which has geom_bsd (/dev/ad0s1) and
gmirror (e.g.: /dev/ad0s1a and /dev/ad1s1a build one gmirror) on top (I could
successfully change the ticks and the default choice)...

> What's worse is that these modules don't have a way to "untaste".  If you
> load the module, all providers get tasted and there's no way back.  I got
> burned last week when gmirror decided to flip out and it whacked ad1.
> The system panicked on every boot.  The only remedy was to boot a 5.5-R
> media (IIRC) and do "gmirror clear ad1" *before* geom_mirror was loaded.
> IIRC, 6.0, 6.1, and all the other 5.x media I had didn't work.  What a
> PITA!

Yup - some special cases r not handled as gracefully as they could be
handled...

I had another one:
gmirror out of ad1s1a and ad0s1a, where ad0s1a was rebuilding... in order to
stop rebuild I decided to remove ad1s1a which left a unusable gmirror device
and a panic (certainly after reboot, too). Unfortunately I do not remember the
kind of panic... If it was a bad memory access or just an ASSERT... But it
crashed repeatedly until I disconnected the disk that had that bad
gmirror-meta-info... :-)

> It would be nice if the tools had a "load but don't taste" command, an
> "untaste" command, and a "taste" command.  Until then, it all just feels
> so incomplete, like it was hacked together.

*sob* :-)
I would say this "untaste" command wouldnt be necessary, if the geom classes
would handle every single special case as gracefully as possible...

-Arne