Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 23:08:56 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        mi@aldan.algebra.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>, stable@FreeBSD.org, seb@bluetail.com, ruslan@shevchenko.kiev.ua, olgeni@uli.it
Subject:   Re: erlang port -- a poster child (Re: I'll be rolling a 4.1.1 rele ase on September 25th)

On Mon 2000-09-18 (16:56), mi@aldan.algebra.com wrote:
> = Then  SAY  SO.  In the  PR.  And  if  you  get no  response  within  a
> = <time-period>, followup on the PR, saying you got no response.
>
> Ok, this is something new...

It may be new to you - I can't remember who drilled it into me.  Think
of PRs as a better memory than the typical committer's mailbox.  It
depends on the porter, but I just don't have time to act on things as I
read them, and if I don't skim, I'll never keep up.  I usually tag stuff
from people I know well (Johann Visagie and his biotech stuff) and from
the maintainers of the ports (my suggestion of putting MAINTAINER in he
synopsis isn't taking off just yet) I know.

Otherwise, I fire up tkgnats a few times a week, and start with any
(update|upgrade).*MAINTAINER synopsis that I might have missed, and then
unassigned "new port", and then "(update|upgrade)", and finally the
other junk.  Anything that isn't in that PR simply doesn't exist - I
can't expend the effort to search the ports list for every PR I look at
to find out what's up.

> = Is it really  that hard to understand  that if it's not in  the PR, it
> = doesn't exist?
>
> Yes it  is. Up until  now, it  was said, one  has to talk  committers. I
> believe by contacting Ruslan and -ports I was doing just that. Having to
> list all (some) of my steps in the PR is a new requirement -- I thought,
> the PR  should only have  the technical information. Should  this entire
> conversation be  documented there as well?

I think it should be documented - it's "on-the-fly policy-making" (:

I agree with the "if it's not in a PR, it doesn't exist" sentiment quite
a bit - PRs contain information specific to a certain problem, and that
allows me to look at your PR in tkgnats and discover it's being
neglected, instead of just wondering what's up, and considering setting
it to feedback to see what's up.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner