Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 21:48:57 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Releases

jonathan michaels <jlm@caamora.com.au> wrote:
 > On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 03:45:41PM +0200, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Maybe it would reduce confusion somewhat if people would
 > > just stop saying ``4.1-stable'' etc.  Those simply do not
 > > exist.
 > >
 > > I would also vote for ``uname -r'' saying ``4-STABLE'' and
 > > appending the date (similar to the snapshot naming), like
 > > ``4-STABLE-20010509''.  This is much more useful than
 > > ``4.3-STABLE'', IMO.
 >
 > actually, given teh granularity of teh cvs system it might be
 > worthwhile to add hh:mm ..

That would be rather difficult.

As far as I know, there is no automatic mechanism to store
the current date and time somewhere upon a cvs checkout or
update.

Anyway, just the day should be sufficient in most cases.
Think of someone posting a well-known problem to -questions
or -stable, and giving his uname output which says, for
example, ``4-STABLE-20010509''.  Now we can tell him to
upgrade because it was fixed on 2001-05-20 or whatever.
If he just said ``4.3-STABLE'', it wouldn't help much.

Storing the date (without time of day) in that string would
require some cron script somewhere (probably on the master
CVS server) that updates the newvers.sh file daily.  This
might sound like a gross hack, but so far I haven't seen a
better idea.

 > on second thoughts your sugestion is teh
 > sanest i've seen and personally wonder why it wasn't done like this
 > fron teh begining.

Probably because of the gross hack that I described above.
:-)

But maybe someone else has a better idea how to achieve
that.

Regards
   Oliver