Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 23:02:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      user <jasper@terra.3rdplanet.com>
To:        mrami@minerva.cis.yale.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Low-Fi images in Netscape

I've noticed that problem.  I have 4 browsers for X that I use, and got
them in this order: chimera, NCSA Mosaic 2.6, Netscape Navigator, and
Arena.  I've notice that Netscape doesn't show images cleanly on my 8bpp
setup, but Mosaic and chimera do (don't use Arena much except to validate
HTML).  Since the images in Netscape seem to look like images tend to in
xv when I'm in 24 bit mode, I'm pretty sure it's the palatte being used.
I have moral problems with Netscape anyway: pages that require Netscape
for viewing properly are a slap in the face of the standards and people
who can't afford to buy the browser.  As you can guess, I only use the
betas for the trial period, and even then only when I need to get at
something bad enough to bury the hatchet... even then I flame the
maintainer for shutting out those with principles.

 /'     `\            __   |  Free Kung Fu in every box!  #    PGP key
 \   |~~|  `|  |  /' /'    http://www.3rdplanet.com/~jasper/   FIGHT THE