Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 00:18:55 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <reyesf@super.zippo.com>
Cc:        "hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

Francisco Reyes scribbled this message on Dec 5:
> I was wondering if there would be any problems with creating a script
> for some of the  steps of building a new kernel. What if any would be
> the problem with having a script which does:
>
> config kern1
> cd ../../kern1
> make depend
> make all
> make install
>
> If such script was created it should check the return code of the
> make command to make sure there were no problems.

what's so hard about typing this?  and how about:
config kern1 && cd ../../kern1 && make depend && make all && make install

also, if you get fancy, you could replace kern1 with $1.. but of course,
what about when you want to pass -n to config, and -j4 to make all?
it's not hard to type yourself...  plus, there are to many varibles...

also, make depend isn't needed if you don't config -n the kernel,
(unless you do a -j4 on the kernel build)...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD