Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 19:14:59 -0500
From:      Dany Cayouette <danyc@playground.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Changing ARP cache timeout

Greetings,
  is there an easy way to modify the ARP cache timeout on FreeBSD?  The
reason is:  I am connected via cable modem (Rogers@home).  I have a
static IP address assigned.  The cable gateway seems to be aggresive in
the ARP cache timeout.  If my system doesn't generate any traffic, the
gateway seems to loose the ARP entry.  Since the ARP cache is not timed
out on my system, I still transmit packet but don't receive anything.
As soon as I forced an ARP request, 'arp -ad' command, things work
again...

Cheers,
Dany