Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2007 23:11:32 +0200
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
To:        Mike Makonnen <mtm@FreeBSD.Org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Merging rc.d/network_ipv6 into rc.d/netif

Hi Mike,

Thank you for working on this.  I'm always glad to see someone working
on homogenization.  I dare to post a few comments though:

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 09:29:06PM +0300, Mike Makonnen wrote:
> What it does
> ------------
>  - rc.d/network_ipv6 is no longer necessary and can be removed
>  - IPv6 configuration is done on each interface in rc.d/netif along with IPv4
>  - IPv6 routing and options processing is done in rc.d/routing along with IPv4
>  - You can now do things like:
> 	# Start/Stop IPv6 on all interfaces
> 	/etc/rc.d/netif (start|stop) ip6
> 	# Start/Stop IPv6 only on interface rl0
> 	/etc/rc.d/netif (start|stop) rl0 ip6
> 	# Do IPv6 options processing
> 	/etc/rc.d/routing options ip6

As Dag-Erling said, it may conflict with a future if_ip.  Moreover,
network interfaces are renameable, so the namespace conflict is even
more likely.

Although it breaks the standard rc(8) syntax, I would personaly prefer:
	/etc/rc.d/netif (start6|stop6) rl0

BTW, the proposed syntax isn't very usual either :).

>  - In order to differentiate between v4 and v6 configuration directives some
>    knobs in rc.conf(5)have been renamed with an ipv4_ prefix:
> 	network_interfaces
> 	ifconfig_DEFAULT
> 	ifconfig_<interface>
> 	ifconfig_<interface>_aliasX
> 	defaultrouter
> 	gateway_enable
> 	static_routes
> 	etc...
>
>  - Modify all scripts that reference old knobs (without ipv4_ prefix) to
>    reference the new version of the knobs
>
>  - Compatibility shims in rc.subr(8) so that old uses of knobs without an
>    ipv4_ prefix work as expected. As part of this change split the
>    code for this processing into its own function: old2new_knobs()

This is neat.  What about issuing a warning in order to make a
quicker transition ?

Again, thank you for working on this.
Best regards,
--