Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 2003 13:09:20 +0100
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
To:        matt@domsch.com
Cc:        chuck@NetBSD.org
Subject:   afaapps port committed to FreeBSD

--JYK4vJDZwFMowpUq

Hi,

I'm a FreeBSD src committer who deals with Dell hardware a lot.  I've just
committed a port of afaapps to FreeBSD. I should be grateful if you could
add this to your extremely useful list of resources.

Please pass on my sincere thanks to your colleagues at Dell for providing us
with these tools.

I've tested the tools with Scott Long's aac(4) driver. This has a passthrough
for the ioctls which the afacli tool uses. Version 2.7 of the tools, with a
PowerEdge 2400 chassis' Dell PERC 2/Si running firmware 2.1, work perfectly
under Linux emulation in FreeBSD 4.9-RC.

I understand that Dell do not officially support FreeBSD; members of the
Project certainly hope that will change in future, as the forthcoming 5.2
release is looking very promising. I also understand that distribution
restrictions exist on Dell software, therefore the port has been marked
RESTRICTED (binaries will not be distributed as part of FreeBSD releases),
in accordance with Dell's wishes.

Kind regards,
Bruce M. Simpson <---> bms@spc.org / bms@FreeBSD.org / vm/net hacker

--JYK4vJDZwFMowpUq