Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 18:15:09 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Stephen Fisher <lithium@cia-g.com>
To:        Dongil Shin <dshin@ponder.csci.unt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Boot floppy problem with Intel Atlantis motherboard (Mach64)

It looks like a conflit with COM4 and the ATI Mach64.  The way FreeBSD
probes for serial ports it causes the ATI (which has a bug, not freebsd)
to respond as COM4.  It locks up your screen (blank) and puts the monitor
into power saving mode (if supported).  To fix this quickly disable all of
your com ports (at the boot: prompt type -c then at the prompt type
"visual").  I believe the fix is in /usr/src/sys/i386/sio.c but I can't
find where I patched it anywhere.