Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 10:06:17 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@vector.jhs.local>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers' list)
Subject:   Re: Building a "custom" release of 2.1.0

Hi, Reference:
> From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
>
> > What was the rationale for FreeBSD going over to requiring CVS just to
> > produce a release ?  FreeBSD didn't use to do it that way.
>
> Uh, it's been this way since 2.0?!
>
> > Involving CVS takes longer, uses more disc, so why ?
>
> Read and understand /usr/src/etc/Makefile - it explains this far more
> cogently than I ever could!

OK, but I &/or any other interested reader will then merely learn how you
currently do it, not _why_ you did it that way.

With CVS now public, some people are attempting to practice `roll their own',
so if CVS is at all avoidable (like it was in FreeBSD-1.*), it would help
more people with less disc space practice.

Having learnt the ropes, those people could assist FreeBSD at release time.
The more people available on call the better, from the agonised wails of
each past over-burdened stressed out Release Engineer :-)

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/