Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 1995 15:05:37 EST
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ache@astral.msk.su
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

> In message <199510151053.GAA03600@exalt.x.org> Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
>     writes:
>
> >If I create a file that has extended ASCII (ISO8859-1) characters in the
> >name, ls always substitues a '?' for the non-ASCII characters. Note
> >that ls on, e.g. SVR4, does not do this
>
> Did you setenv ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE before calling ls?
> See environ(7) (-current).

For the most part stuff in -current might as well not exist as far as
I'm concerned. The X Consortium only supports released versions of any
particular OS, and then it officially only supports that same version
over the life of that particular release of X11. I'm already stretching
things as far as I can by running SNAP releases, and that's only because
I have faith that 2.1 will be real before our next release. (Not much of
a stretch really, our next release is months away.)

That notwithstanding, I agree with Joerg, it's a hack and users shouldn't
have to resort to hacks to have things work correctly or reasonably, or
even reasonably correctly.

(I have taken /bin/sh from -current. I hope you won't let me down by not
having that in the GA release of 2.1.0. Note also that the X Consortium
does add support for later OS versions in the public patches, but they're
just not *officially* supported.)

> >So I think the test isprint in ls really ought to be isgraph instead.
>
> It is a question. The only difference is space: isprint allows it and isgraph
> not. Does allowing spaces in file names considered bad?

In a separate context you cited the man page (and I think the man page is
wrong in that case.) Now I'm going to do the same thing. :-) The FreeBSD
man page for ls says that '?' is substituted for non-*graphical* characters
(and the SVR4 man page is in agreement. I wonder what POSIX says?) Since a
space is not a graphical character, whether you think printing spaces is
good or bad it's pretty clear that a space must have a '?' substituted in
its place when -q is in effect. If the only difference is a space then I
think you should make the change.

--

Kaleb