Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 2002 18:25:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Edwin Culp <eculp@encontacto.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: slapd dumping core with today's current.

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Bruce Evans wrote:
> > Unfortunately, we didn't get expansion of the i386 mcontext_t to make
> > room for SSE, into 4.0, and the problem has been mostly ignored since
> > then.  Looks like it is a large problem.
>
> Any chance of avoiding this in the future by adding an "extensible,
> but known to be suboptimal if used" extension field, so that these
> kind of changes can be made without having to change anything
> important to the point of incompatability?
>
> That type of thing would let the problem be fixed in an ugly way,
> but at least it would be fixed, without balancing things on a
> knife's edge of incompatability vs. non-working code.

That's kind of the point of adding the fields that we did
(mc_len, mc_fpformat).  They can be used to help validate
the contents and to allow extensions.  We also have some
spare slots, but the last incarnation of ucontext_t also
had spare slots and it wasn't nearly enough for what we
now need.

--
Dan Eischen