Date:      30 Oct 1998 15:30:21 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
Cc:        Konstantin Chuguev <joy@urc.ac.ru>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make installworld over NFS

Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com> writes:

> I do it the other way around all the time.  NFS mount /usr/obj and
> /usr/src from the build server on the minibox to be updated, then do a
> make installworld on the minibox.
>
> Works great.  I use it to update my bedroom machine all the time.  It only
> has two 420 meg IDEs CCD, so there isn't really enough room to do whole
> make worlds on the machine itself.  Besides, it takes forever on a
> 486/120.  Much faster on one of the K6es.  :)

My minibox is a lowly 486sx-16 or -33 with only 5MB RAM so building
the OS on it is out of the question. It's also at a lights-out ISP
site so getting to it physically is difficult.

Any suggestions on how to do this when the minibox is a 28.8 POTS line
away? Would the NFS be reliable enough?

It's currently at 2.2.1-RELEASE and I'd like to bring it up to 2.2-STABLE.

Thanks.