Date:      Tue, 8 Mar 2005 00:42:51 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Lucas" <fbsdquestionmail@mindrules.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dummynet problem, kernel options checked

Hello,

I'm running FreeBSD 5.3 Stable, installed from an iso on one
of the dutch ftp mirrors. Everything works fine, installation
went as expected. After a while I wanted some simple traffic
shaping, and since the machine I wanted that for isn't the
fastest, I chose to use ipfw with dummynet. From what I read
that was not very resource-intensive.

I recompiled the kernel, copied the GENERIC and added the
following options:

options         IPFIREWALL              #ipfw
options         DUMMYNET                #dummynet
options         HZ=1000                 #strongly recommended

I looked into both the ipfw and dummynet manpages, and I under-
stood this would be all that was needed.

The compiling went fine, ipfw works, dummynet doesn't. I can
add pipes, but configurating bandwith (or actually, just "ipfw
pipe 1 config" is enough), gives me the following error:

ipfw: setsockopt(IP_DUMMYNET_CONFIGURE): Protocol not available

I tried the usual, looking into the handbook, faq, and searching
newsgroups and the web. Everything there tells me that DUMMYNET
isn't in my kernel options. I checked numerous times, and it is
really there.

Is there any way I could check if it really compiled? I vaguely
remember something containing the word dummynet flashing by
while compiling.

Any advice is appreciated,

Lucas