Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 21:25:30 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Gerard Samuel <gsam@trini0.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: deleting from cvs??

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 12:31:17PM -0500, Gerard Samuel wrote:
> I got a cvs repository, and Im restructuring the file system.
> When deleting empty directories, I would issue cvs update -P to erase
> them from my working copy, but they still exist in the source files.
> I was told that this is the expected behaviour of cvs update -P.
> I went through the man page of cvs looking for a way to erase *both*
> working copy and source copy empty directories, but I haven't seen
> anything.  Is there a way to do this?
> Thanks

You can always just go into your repository (ie. the real directory tree
that the repo files live in) and delete the offending directories.
However, they won't be empty unless you *never* committed any files to
those directories.  When you do a 'cvs delete' it just marks the file as
dead on whatever branch you're working on... all the old revisions of the
file still exist in the repository.

If you really don't care about those old revisions, or you've copied them
into your new structure, then by all means just rm the old directories.

Personally, I just run with -P in my .cvsrc so this kind of thing is never
a problem.

	Scott