Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 01:07:57 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Manipulating pdf/ps files

On 5/13/01, 8:29:45 PM, Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it> wrote
regarding Manipulating pdf/ps files:

> Dear FreeBSD'ers,

> I would like to perform such operations as the following:

> -- merge PDF/ps files
> -- modify PDF/ps files in a more or less "graphical" (read:
> human-understandable) fashion
> -- convert PDF/ps files to other formats (eg text).

> Browsing the archives, I learnt about pdf2ps, ps2pdf, pstotext and
> psutils (both in the ports). I had also browsed the ports tree as well=
 as
> the Doc-primer, but I am probably missing something trivial here.

> I have found some difficulties: eg, psmerge seems not to work on a few=
 ps
> files, which files I downloaded (originally as PDF files) from a www
> site. I have reason to believe those files were generated from one mai=
> file (containing data arranged in a table) split into several pieces,
> BTW. I couldn't convert the ps files to txt, either: pstotext generate=
> strings of hashes (the "#" character).

I meet with problems when trying to convert PDF/ps files containing data=

arranged in a table, each raw of data being preceded as well as followed=

by a (continuous) horizontal line like this (the data were probably
formatted with M$ excel):

data data data...
data data data...

For example, running pdfinfo on one of the files spits out:

Creator:      Windows NT 4.0
Producer:     Acrobat Distiller 4.0 for Windows
CreationDate: 20010511130351
ModDate:      20010511130351+02'00'
Pages:        60
Encrypted:    no
Linearized:   yes

I tried xpdf (in the ports), namely pdftotext, but it didn't work.

Summing up: I can convert those PDF files into ps, the information in th=
ps files IS displayed correctly, but I have managed to convert neither
the above-mentioned PDF nor ps files into plain text. There is a txt2pdf=

utility on the Net, but I can't seem to find a **working** pdf2txt or
ps2txt one. BTW, the "clipboard" (ie the mouse middle button) DOES copy
from Acrobat Reader (running in linux comp. layer) to other text editors=

within X, but it copies (raw) PDF data.

*Sigh* I don't want to have to use Winblows

MTIA for tips, suggestions, pointers,
Salvo