Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 1996 14:04:40 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        snorthcutt@1stresource.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X and xterm questions

    Scott> Greetings, This is perhaps the wrong forum for these
    Scott> queries, but, if nothing else, it'll be a good jumping off
    Scott> point.  Here goes...  1) I recently ftp'd the xv-3.10a .tgz
    Scott> file, decompressed it, and type make.  it cruised along
    Scott> fine for a while and then died while trying to find
    Scott> /X11/Xlib.h and a few other similar header-type files.  My
    Scott> question is, how do I acquire those needed files?  My
    Scott> /usr/X11R6 directory has bin, man, lib, and include
    Scott> directories in it.  Am I missing a source directory or
    Scott> something?

Sounds like it, yes.  You need to install the files from the archive
X312prog.tgz.  To do so, you probably just need to type

        su
        (Enter root's password.)
        tar xz -C /usr -f /where/ever/it/is/X312prog.tgz

    Scott> 2) In specifying command line parameters for my xterms in
    Scott> .xinitrc, I've finally discovered how to make scroll-bars
    Scott> with a big buffer automatically start on the xterm.

You know, an even better way to do this is to use the X resource
database.  In your .Xresources or .Xdefaults file (whichever one you
have loaded when you start X windows), put these lines:

        XTerm*scrollBar:        True
        XTerm*saveLines:        2048

Now, every xterm you start will have a scroll bar and will save 2048
lines.  Only those that use the -sb and -sl options will override
these defaults.

    Scott> What I haven't been able to ascertain is how to use the -fn
    Scott> switch such that a bigger font is the default.  I tried
    Scott> "-fn large" but I think it needs a font name and/or size.
    Scott> How do I find out what font is being used, then tell it to
    Scott> make it bigger?

I use these programs:

        xfontsel       To interactively select fonts
        xlsfonts       To get a list of fonts at the command line
        xfd            To display all the characters in a font

xfontsel is probably the most useful.  Run it, then manipulate the
menus until you find a font you like.  You can even see the font in an
xterm by pressing the ``Select'' button in xfontsel.  Then, while
holding down CTRL, press and hold mouse button 3 in an xterm window
and choose the item ``Selection.''  When you like the font you've got
and want to make it permanent, just put it into your X resources, such
as:

  *VT100*font:  -b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-sans-13-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

A few other resources you might find useful ... these affect the font
menu in xterms on CTRL+Button-3.

*fontMenu*font1*font:   -b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-sans-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*fontMenu*font1*Label:  LucidaType 14
*fontMenu*font2*font:   -b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-sans-18-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
*fontMenu*font2*Label:  LucidaType 18
*fontMenu*font3*font:   -*-courier-medium-r-normal-*-*-240-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
*fontMenu*font3*Label:  Courier 14
*fontMenu*font4*font:   -*-courier-medium-r-normal-*-*-240-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1
*fontMenu*font4*Label:  Courier 24
*fontMenu*font5*font:   10x20
*fontMenu*font5*Label:  10x20
*fontMenu*font6*Label:  Nil

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more
planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.
-- Jack Handey