Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:20:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Madole <david@madole.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: kern/32338: Network to disk write performance low under ATA with DMA

The following reply was made to PR kern/32338; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Madole <david@madole.net>
To: sos@freebsd.dk
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:27:50 -0500

 >===== Original Message From sos@freebsd.dk =====
 >It seems David S Madole wrote:
 >> Data transfers from network to ATA hard drive are very slow. Visible
 >> with Samba, HTTP PUT, etc., but most easily demonstrated with FTP.
 >> Only occurs when DMA is enabled on the ATA controller.
 >>
 >> Interestingly, only seems to happen when network data is being written
 >> to the drive. Doing a large write to the drive while simultaneously
 >> doing a 'ping -f -s 1400' to another node from another session does
 >> not slow the disk writes significantly.
 >>
 >> The drive is a Maxtor 60GB (model number in included dmesg). NIC is
 >> NetGear with sis driver, although same problem occurs with LinkSys
 >> card on dc driver. Also occurs with older Maxtor 6GB drive.
 >
 >Hmm, this sounds like the SiS network card may be using DMA too
 >and badly at that, making the net card and the ATA driver
 >compete for the bus...
 >
 >> >Fix:
 >> I wish I knew where to look!
 >
 >Try another netcard, if that helps you know where to look :)

 I think it's some kind of funniness with the chipset. As I mentioned
 originally, I get the same problem with a ADMtek AN985 on the dc driver. I
 also do not get the problem on an Intel Triton-based board with the same NIC
 and hard drive (and a much slower CPU - P-133 instead of K6-III-550).

 I added a little bit of instrumentation to the sis driver to keep track of
 receive descriptor/buffer overflows and it appears to be the problem. If I FTP
 more than about 150K, I get an overflow and slow performance (from TCP
 throttling back in response to packet loss). I changed the sis driver code to
 up the buffers from 128 to 1536, it still overflows. It appears that a NIC
 interrupt is getting lost, or the interrupt latency is going way up. So what
 in running the drive under DMA could cause interrupt problems for the NIC?

 I also forced the drive to WDMA2 instead of UDMA2 to match what the
 Triton-based machine was doing, but it made no difference. Didn't really
 expect it would.

 Dave