Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 06:37:24 +0000 ()
From:      francis yeung <fyeung@netific.com>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        michaelh@cet.co.jp, doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.02

Greetings,

> >From The Desk Of Michael Hancock :
> > On Sat, 24 Aug 1996, Doug Wellington wrote:
> >
> > > those three languages...  So, my point is, Java isn't anything special,
> > > it's just neutered C++, Perl, Python and TCL...  We already have all these
> > > other tools, they're stable and established, and free!
>
> I think that what attracts people to Java is not the language rather the
> cool things you can do with java on the web and also because it runs
> on win95 -- its resemblance to C++ is definitly a win .
>
> tcl got ported to win95 however I think that java is in better shape
> on win95 than tcl.
>
> tcl is okay however its lack of higher structures makes it a pain if you
> don't resort to itcl or one of the "object-oriented" packages for tcl.
>
> About three  years ago , tcl could have rule the Net by way of
> "smart-agents" (safe-tcl + plus some extensions) . Is just that

	In theory, Java should be the language of choice for developing
	smart-agents. However, has anyone used Java for this purpose
	out there ? Does anyone have any Java class (a kind of middleware
	or tool kits) to faciliate the processing of the CGIs e.g. parsing
	parameters, creating the associative array etc. Is
	JavaORB (Cobra) in the public domain ? How about JavaODBC ? Is
	it in the public domain ?

> no one really felt like tackling the project.
>
> Both tcl/tk and java have made it a whole easier to create portable
> graphic apps :
> pull down windows , displaying images , etc...
>
> Hope that I make sense 8)
>
> 	Cheers,
> 	Amancio

	Thanks.