Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 17:28:16 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Ron Chen <ron_chen_123@yahoo.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with getting load information

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 05:16:26PM -0800, Ron Chen wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> Is there a set of APIs that I can use to get the
> system information like the memory size, swap size, #
> of CPUs?

For some globus GRIS scripts, I'm using the sysctls
vm.stats.vm.v_page_size and vm.stats.vm.v_page_count to get memory size.
I'm calculating free memory (a bogus concept in FreeBSD) as
total-active-inactive-wired, all of which are available under
vm.stats.vm.   Swap information is available from the swapinfo command.
If you really need it in an API you could just steal the code.

The number of cpus is easy as it's just the hw.ncpu sysctl.  Other
information is currently difficult to obtain and I'm currently parsing
the output of the cpuid port to obtain a fair bit of it.  The only
source of Mhz is /var/run/dmesg.boot.

> Also, I want to get the information about the load,
> and also process information.

Load is available from the sysctl vm.loadavg.

-- Brooks

--=20

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf

--zhXaljGHf11kAtnf--