Date:      Sat, 10 May 2003 12:25:06 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [Bikeshed] sigacts locking

David Schultz wrote:
> No, they're already wired kernel pages that are unwired and
> unmapped when the process is swapped out.  Moreover, there's
> probably *more* KVA pressure with upages swapping, because each
> tiny struct upages gets a 4K or larger page all to itself unless
> it's swapped out.

The wiring and unwiring doesn't change the fundamental nature
of the page.

I can think of a lot of useful things to put in that page, if
you are willing to map it read-only into user space.  The pid,
uid, gid, ppid, etc. could all be made zero system call
functions, for example.  So I'm not as concerned about it being
4K in size.

I'm more concerned with the idea of being able to migrate a
process to another node in a cluster, and having all of the
information needed to do this outside nominally kernel data
structures, instead of having to do a lot of work to extricate
the process from a given node's kernel data.

(Well, you *did* wan us in the "Subject:"... 8-) 8-)).

-- Terry