Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:08:10 -0800
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New scheduler

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 09:51:38PM +0100, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> I assume that this new scheduler is only for SMP?
>
> I tried it out on my UP machine - BTW on line 312 there's a missing
> ``);'' - and the results were, not to pull any blows, catastrophic.
>
> Running X I started a ``make buildworld'' in an aterm and immediately
> observerd:
> o the cursor lagged way behind mouse movements
> o switching desktops allowed me to observe in detail how various
>   applications repaint themselves - it was that slow
> o mozilla was totally unusable
>
> With the current scheduler interactive applications are still quite
> snappy. I never observe any of the above mentioned problems with it.
> I know this is a WIP, but I thought I'd report my observations.
>
> This on an XP 1800+ with 768MB of memory and (fairly) fast SCSI disks.

I can (unfortunately) confirm Gary's observation.
Building LAPACK, "make -j 2 buldworld" and running
KDE brought my 1GHz athlon to its knees.  Moving
the mouse between windows/desktops was painfully
slow/lagging.

top(1) for a similar load on the current scheduler shows

last pid:  4220;  load averages:  2.51,  1.06,  0.43    up 0+00:22:02  17:06:20
81 processes:  4 running, 77 sleeping
CPU states: 70.4% user,  0.0% nice, 29.6% system,  0.0% interrupt,  0.0% idle
Mem: 84M Active, 93M Inact, 38M Wired, 1176K Cache, 48M Buf, 157M Free
Swap: 356M Total, 356M Free

With your new scheduler the load averages were (approximately)
7.5, 5.5, 5.

--
Steve