Date:      14 Jan 2003 12:01:08 +1000
From:      Duncan Anker <d.anker@au.darkbluesea.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Postfix vs. Sendmail

On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 20:52, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> # d.anker@au.darkbluesea.com / 2003-01-13 09:38:58 +1000:

> > This sounds like a different issue - my suggestion was for how to avoid
> > putting sendmail into the system when you build it.
>
>     not really a different issue. the OP wanted to be able to [not]
>     install Sendmail, Bind etc. during the initial system setup. that's
>     impossible ATM.

Correct. However, once you have built your system and carefully removed
the bits you don't want, you are likely to be quite unhappy for an
upgrade to go and put them back. If you have run your system for a
couple of years, then an "install" is really just upgrading versions.

>  plus, replacing part of the base with a port might
>     break your system.

Making a typo in a configuration file, or deleting a library might break
your system too. The original question was not about ensuring the
integrity of a port. Breaking the system by leaving out part of the base
is a concern though.

>     Neither makes your suggestion "exactly what you want".

My suggestion was taken from a scenario where you are installing, for
example, 4.7 onto a box that has previously been running something like
4.3 or 4.4.

> > Admittedly, after a default install it's already there and you have to
> > go and remove it, so yes, there should be an installer option for it.
>
>     and yes, that's what the OP wanted.

And I agree. It would be much easier not to install things in the first
place.

How much dependency is there still on these things within the base
system? What would break if someone with no *NIX experience installed
FreeBSD without Sendmail or BIND?

If they can be taken out, all well and good. I believe dependency on
Perl has been removed in version 5.0 so that it can be relegated back to
the ports - and what a hue and cry there was over that, removing an
"essential" tool from the base system.

> > If you need to start sendmail after DJB dnscache, you can disable it in
> > /etc/rc.conf and start it from a local script, no?
>
>     yes. that means you must do more than you said originally, and what
>     you said originally is not "exactly what you want".

Are you suggesting that you should be able modify the default install
without modifiying the default configuration? That's a mighty fine
sentiment, but I can't see it happening.

In any case, the port should really take care of the local script if
it's needed, and anything needed to be done should be included in the
ubiquitous INSTALL file.

Now, if the OP had asked "How do I prevent Sendmail from complaining
because it starts up before DJB dnscache?" then the whole scenario you
brought up would be related. However, he didn't, so I stand by my
assertion that this is a different issue, although you are correct that
what I suggested is not exactly what he wants.

I think the real trouble is that people usually don't ask for exactly
what they want, and everyone has completely different inferences of it.

I have no intention of offending anyone, nor starting a flame war, so I
will now cease participation in this thread as it is getting off-topic.

Regards,
Duncan Anker
--

The information contained in this email is confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose or use the