Date:      Sun, 6 Dec 1998 17:49:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Test request, SMC 1211TX EtherEZ PCI card

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Bill Paul wrote:

> I downloaded the drivers from ftp.smc.com for this card and ran
> strings -a on a few of them: they explicitly mention the rtl8139,
> so it looks like it is indeed a RealTek chip. I also looked at the
> SCO OpenSewer 5 driver kit: it includes an 'r8e.h' header file
> which contains definitions that match the information I have for
> the RealTek and mentions the 8129 and 8139. This seems to show
> pretty conclusively that it is a RealTek chip. However this
> appears to be SMC's own build of the driver; in many cases I think the
> distributors just use whatever drivers are provided by RealTek
> and make up their own diskettes, but SMC seems to have compiled
> their own driver versions. This being the case, it's possible they
> may have used their own PCI vendor and device ID in the EEPROM
> and customized the driver to match, just to it look like their
> board is different from others and get you to use their particular
> drivers. So even though it's a RealTek chip, the rl driver still
> might not detect it as such.

Can't help you with the 100Mbit versions, but I can tell you that the
10Mbit PCI version of the EtherEZ is indeed using the RealTek 8029, and
the PCI vendor ID etc. is still RealTek's.  On all the ones I have
handled, SMC have gone to the trouble of over-printing the chips with
black paint and an SMC logo to obscure the RealTek partnumber, but have
then shot themselves in the foot by printing a photo on the outside of the
packaging which shows a card with the unobscured RealTek chip clearly
visible!!