Date:      02 Jul 1998 15:34:07 +0200
From:      smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, nick.hibma@jrc.it, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: timeout granularity (was: Re: Console driver...)

Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it> writes:
> > It's not that simple. You have to know how long to wait, which is
> > practically impossible to do without hooking the timer interrupt and
> > reprogramming it to keep pace with the retrace, and even that is
> > difficult to achieve without a little busy-waiting here and there.
> a little busy waiting is not a lot. What is bad is 10ms waiting

With a 70 Hz refresh rate, we're talking more like 14 ms in the worst
case, which is pretty darn bad.

> If one can, say, assume that the vertical retrace is never less than
> 1ms, then HZ=2000 should do the job (wakeup at every tick...).

Ah, I didn't think of it quite like that. Yes, it would work, and you
wouldn't have to busy-wait at all; just wake up at every tick, check
if you're in a retrace, and if you are, do your job.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com