Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:35:08 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Changing the name of the machine

Situation is divided in two parts: former and now
Former:
I was not connencted to internet constantly but
rather sporadically.I have choosen the name
of my machine deliberately and it is
rulez.zhestianka.de(horrible mix of 2 languages
and geographic location)Method used for connection was
dialup paid on time basis.
Now:
I changed to 24/7 based flatrate with the SAME
machine,one of the main disadvantages of flatrate as
compared to leased is that one does not get static IP
but rather dynamic one(one is kicked off after 24 hours
of constant connect and must dial-in again rather
cripled thing but so are circumstances here in germany)
Guys from dyndns.org try to come up to this short-comming
by mapping dynamic IP to static DNS entry but they demand
(or i have understood it so) just names of the form:
yourname.dyndns.org.Yet the question:may i just change the name
of the machine simply  just out of blue due to changed circumstances
and if yes what steps are necessary ?

Best wishes,
Ariel

              To boldly go where I surely don't belong.