Date:      Mon, 1 May 2000 22:16:54 -0700
From:      Travis Cole <tcole@wcug.wwu.edu>
To:        Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and IRC

I happen to share an office at work with the guy who got flamed and
then kick banned on #FreeBSD.

Yet another reason why I don't go to #FreeBSD any more.  Its often
times distressing how people can instantly turn against you there.

:(

On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 06:36:44PM -0700, Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson wrote:
> Just wanna share a little incident that happened today.
>
> <dawn flame suit>
>
> My normal routine is to hang out on IRC and gleen information from the
> ones that what to give it on #FreeBSD and to share what I can to give it
> back.
>
> Today started out like any other day. people asked how to get there
> mouse to work while in thier console, some other guy asked how can he
> get his shell to work when he presses the up arrow key to get the
> previous command, etc. The two items were fielded by the channel in a
> helpful manner with a lot of poking about rtfm and using man pages.
>
> (This is one of the reasons why I enjoy the FreeBSD community)
>
> <check flame suit>
>
> After awhile the channel got a little busier. A guy greeted and asked if
> anyone had heard if such and such a hardware was supported. One of the
> operators asked if he had checked the website. the gentlemen responded
> with a yes and that he also checked the /usr/src/sys/conf/i386/LINT file
> as well. The operator responded with a smart-ass remark and some
> vulgarity. and then banned the gentlemen.
>
> Now I know IRC is not an official place to get help for FreeBSD. But it
> going thru its moments where people are helpful and not. But the thing
> is it is easy to get to and it has some interaction in semi-real time.
> It is a public forum just as much as HTTP and NNTP. With that in mind
> there could be a little hint of advocacy in the channel instead of some
> people with arrogance and the power of the '@'.
>
> Just something to think about.
>
> </dawn flame suit>
>
> Back to IRC I go entering #FreeBSD
> --

--Travis

"Linux is something for Windows haters, BSD is something for Unix lovers"
(Heike S., Febr. 98)