Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 2008 11:43:03 +0100
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bob Falanga <rfalang.bob@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: g_ufs_done() WHAT does it mean?

Bob Falanga wrote:
> I have installed freeBSD on a SATA 320 gig hard drive. After running for a
> few minutes I get several of the following error messages:
> g_ufs_done():ad4s1d[WRITE(offset=385482752, length=16384)]error=6.
> After two pages like that the computer stops and requires a hard boot to
> restart.
>
> I assume that the messages concern the hard drive, but what are they telling
> me?

First, it's g_vfs_done, not g_ufs_done -- precision and accuracy are
usually important when reporting error messages.  In this case the
important part is the "error=6".  You can look this up in
/usr/include/errno.h which says:

#define ENXIO           6               /* Device not configured */

which probably means that the device disappeared at runtime.  What other
messages were logged prior to this?

Kris