Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 1999 22:06:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>
To:        Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
Cc:        "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>, Tibor Borzak <cezy_bt@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Syslogd

Doug> [...] to prevent it from starting at the next reboot:

Doug> 3.1-RELEASE (and after) add this to /etc/rc.conf

Doug> syslogd_enable="NO"

Doug> 3.0-RELEASE (and before) change in /etc/rc.conf

Doug> syslogd_enable="NO"

Laurence> Is there maybe a typo in here?  I don't really know much
Laurence> about syslogd, but assume that you must have meant soemthing
Laurence> different for either 3.1 or 3.0 and before, otherwise you
Laurence> wouldn't have separated them, no?

No typeo, at least not that my overworked brain can't spot right now.

Things changed for rc.conf with 3.1.  For everything before 3.1
(including 3.0) there was a /etc/rc.conf with *lots* of stuff in it
and you edited that file to change what you wanted. So, if you are
running 2.x or 3.0 and don't want to run syslog you need to find the
line

   syslogd_enable="YES"

in /etc/rc.conf and change the "YES" to "NO".

For 3.1 the big rc.conf file was moved to /etc/defaults/rc.conf and
/etc/rc.conf is just a small file that OVERRIDES the defaults in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf. So, you turn off syslogd you ADD this line to
/etc/rc.conf:

   syslogd_enable="NO"

I think thats what I said above, but I've been up too long and both me
and my dog wanna go home.  If anybody is catching me in a lie speak
up!