Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 16:43:08 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@tombstone.sunrem.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'Backwards' DES support for crypt(), while still using better , algo's

Brandon Gillespie writes:
> On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Nate Williams wrote:
> > This is a non-standard case.  Most folks have all of one or the other.
>
> Yes, but ONLY because we dont have any other option!
>
> Once again, what I am suggesting is that--WHEN USING FreeBSD-centric
> password files--we have a package that you can drop in for DES passwords
> WITH the FreeBSD centric format.  Right now when you drop DES in DES
> becomes the default, and from that point forward everything is DES,
> although it will still read MD5 passwords changing a password will make
> it a DES password.

Right, and if you modify the default to MD5, it will still read DES and
MD5 passwords and changes becomes MD5 passwords.  This works *right*
now.  Change the default to SH5 (??) and it'll still read MD5, DES, and
SH5 passwords and write out the new passwords scheme, but the idea is
that we *read* everything but only write out the default.

This is the way it is now.  There is no need to add a special 'token' to
the DES passwords for this to work.  The token is used merely to
recognize non-DES passwords, at which point you can use any # of tokens
to use progressively more advanced encryption methods.

Nate