Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 1997 13:10:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        John Kelly <jak@cetlink.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3com 3c509 card

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, John Kelly wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Dec 1997 01:15:50 +0000 (GMT), Andrew Gordon
> <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Note that a _standard_ cycle isn't the fastest possible cycle: 16-bit
> >memory cycles have one wait state, but a board can generate 0 w/s
> >cycles by holding NOWS* low.  Since this is only applicable to memory
> >cycles
>
> What prevents use of 0 WS for I/O cycles?

The ISA bus.  The NOWS* signal is defined to apply only to memory
cycles.  This dates back to 286 machines with their main memory on the
ISA bus: making the memory run at full speed was critical, dropping an
extra cycle for I/O devices (many of which would insert even more wait
states of their own) was not.