Date:      Fri, 9 Dec 2011 09:44:47 -0800
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: restore(8) to UFS on USB key: terrible slow

Cheap USB drives, and even many CF drives, aren't much good as random
read-write devices.  On my Soekris boxen I run FreeBSD, and mount the
root filesystem rw,noatime.  And I don't write to it. ;-)  /var is a
memory filesystem, there /var/db/... contain symbolic links to
/usr/local/db/.. because the package database can grow quite large.
/tmp is a symlink to /var/tmp.

Configured this way, these machines are trouble-free.