Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 16:32:09 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how much ram/cpu/swap to run emacs/xemacs effectively?

mike mumbled,

> dochawk@psu.edu types:
> > jonathon jubilated, :)
> > > On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 10:34:31AM -0400, dochawk@psu.edu wrote:

> > We'll leave the One True Editor out of this :)  Besides, I've wimped
> > out and used its visual descendant . . .

> What? you mean you don't switch between all three almost at random?
> Being able to use the best tool for the job is important.

not any more.  I don't remember the last time I used ed instead of vi,
so these days it's primarily vi, with emacs used to write code the first
time, realign code from time to tome, and use mh over a text connection.

Then again, I've never quite trusted machines since we stopped entering
bootstrap code . . .

> I wonder what happened to qed?

someone tried to demonstrate a fale proposition? :)

> > tries to do absolutely everything,

> Tries? Ok, it doesn't run 3d gas flow models very well, but if you've
> got xemacs, you don't need Netscape, GNOME, KDE, XFree86-4 etc.  and
> it's smaller than them to boot.

GNOME? KDE?  Why would I want those? :)  I've got to allocate the mere
512mb in my laptop carefully . . .

> > and downright hostile to the standards used by everything else . . .

> Nah, it'll run on Windows as well as Unix.

ahh, so it's hostile to standards, and hostile to those hostile to
standards. Is that uber-hostile or meta-hostile?

hawk, grimacing in advance for the escape-puns that the last line will
generate

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail