Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:06:22 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        perky@fallin.lv
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: icc-compiled Python

On 20 Apr, Hye-Shik Chang wrote:

>> >  (on compiling with icc, I compiled 6 sources with gcc by hand
>> >   to avoid icc's error hehe.)
>>
>> Which files and which errors?
>
> 1. fail on CC=icc ./configure
>    : just configure with gcc and modify Makefile manually
>      not clear but it works. ;)

Known problem. That's because icc can't link native programs.

> 2. some warning messages
>    : removed -fPIC and -W... options.
>      (but dynamic linking is working without any problem. ehm.)

-kPIC

> 3. fails linking on two points (Parser/pgen and libpython2.2.a)
>    : do with gcc manually

What's the error message?

> 4. icc error on FreeBSD base headers on some modules
>    (including Modules/_localemodule.c Modules/socketmodule.c
>               Modules/_sslmodule.c)
>    : compile with gcc manually

Errors? Which ones?

> Everything worked fine except those.
>
>> Which CPU?
>
> Intel Pentium III  800MHz.

Then I expect a similiar improvement for AMD processors.

>> Any chance the files you compiled with gcc instead of icc are related to
>> those tests?
>
> Ah. if Intel allows to distribute icc-compiled binaries.
> I didn't read icc license agreement carefully.

I think you misunderstood me here. I wanted to know, if some of the
slower tests may be a result of some files being compiled with gcc
instead of icc. E.g. if you have to compile some string manipulating
functions with gcc instead of icc it may be the case that this lead to
the slower results for some string operations.

Bye,
Alexander.