Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 23:45:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /sbin/dhcp not getting hostnames?

I was upgrading some machines from 3.1-RELEASE to 3.1-STABLE, and since -stable
now has dhclient built in, I figured that I'd use it instead of the isc-dhcp2
port.  Well, the first time I tried it mostly worked.  My hostname was set to
what looked like a really, really long MAC address.  I then found
/usr/src/contrib/client/scripts/freebsd and used it to replace my
/etc/dhclient-script.  Now the hostname and domainname are not set at all.  In
the /etc/resolv.conf that it generates, there is no domain line, so I know that
it is not getting the hostname and domainname.  The dhcpd server is running on
a 2.2.7 server version 2.b1.0 which works fine with other versions of isc-dhcp2
(sorry don't have the version with me) and NT.  It only seems to be the client
that comes with BSD that is broken.  The server shouldn't matter, though, since
that is the point of a protocol.  Also, host-name and domain-name are in the
requested options line of /etc/dhclient.conf, but not in the required options.
Finally, I have not changed the dhclient.conf file as I don't see what could be
wrong with it.  Any suggestions?

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc