Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 23:42:14 +1000 (EST)
From:      andrew@ugh.net.au
To:        plamendp@bgstore.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: telnet connection refused from IP outside subnet

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 plamendp@bgstore.com wrote:

> When I telnet from IP 193.68.22.2 (i.e. localhost), for example, I see
> the [inetd] log messages in the log file. However, if I telnet from
> some other IP, 212.50.31.21 for example, there are NO logging activity
> in the log file. NONE! Zero!

Well that IP (212.50.31.21) doesn't resolve so that may well be the
problem. A quick way to verify it is to run inetd without the -wW
flags...that way it wont check for such things.

What does /etc/hosts.allow contain? If the first line is:

ALL : ALL : allow

which seems to be the default then you wont be rejecting non resolving
addresses anyway.

> Could it be some firewall issue ? On some other machine among the
> ISP's LAN (the server is plugged-in in an ISP LAN) ?

It shouldn't be another machine plugged in and if its actually a refused
connection it wont be a firewall. I'm guessing its your non resolving IP
but then it should still log.

I just tried to telnet to your machine and my connection (according to
tcpdump) timed out yet telnet claimed the connection was refused. From
this I would guess that your machine really is firewalled for telnet. ssh
goes through OK. This would explain why nothing is appearing in your
logs...the telnet connection never makes it to your machine. Ask your
hosting provider if they firewall telnet.

I would also guess telnet is producing a bogus error message.

Andrew