Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 11:50:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Michael J. Bryan" <mjb@www.willows.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mjb@www.willows.com (Michael J. Bryan)
Subject:   Etherlink III problems

I am having problems getting my Etherlink III (3c509) card recognized
by FreeBSD 2.1.

I have disabled all other ethernet drivers in the kernel, including ie0.
The only ethernet driver doing any probes is ep0.

During the probe, I get the following messages:

1 3C5x9 board(s) on ISA found at 0x300
ep0: 3c5x9 at 0x300 in test mode. Erase pencil mark!
ep0: eeprom failed to come ready.
epprobe: ignoring model ffff
ep0 not found at 0x300

This card works fine in another system, running Linux.  Looking at the
FreeBSD driver, it seems that the "test mode" message is bogus, with the
real problem being that it doesn't appear to be getting any useful info
from the EEPROM.  Nonetheless, I looked for anything that might be a test
jumper or pencil mark, and found nothing.

The card in question does not have a boot ROM installed.  Unfortunately,
I do not have any hardware manuals for this card.

Any suggestions on what I might try?

Thanks in advance...