Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:16:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
Subject:   Re: current shot at AlphaHW.txt

Wilko Bulte writes:
 > *
 > * DS10 ("Webbrick") / XP1000 ("Monet")
 > *
 >
 > Webbrick and Monet are high performance workstations/servers based on the
 > EV6 CPU and the Tsunami chipset. Tsunami is also used in much higher-end
 > systems and as such has very good performance to offer.
 >
 > The XP1000 has, by 1999 standards, *stunning* memory and I/O system bandwidth.
 >
 > ** Webbrick
 >
 > Features:
 > - 21264 EV6 CPU at 466 MHz
 > - 4MB L2 cache
 > - memory bus: ? +++
 > - memory: proprietary buffered DIMMs with I2C interfaced ident chip
 >  	  +++ really proprietary?
 > 	  4 DIMM slots
 > 	  installed in pairs of 2
 > - 21271 Core Logic Chipset ("Tsunami")
 > - 2 onboard 21143 Fast ethernet controllers
 > - AcerLabs M5237 (Aladdin-V) USB controller
 > - AcerLabs M1533 PCI-ISA bridge
 > - AcerLabs Aladdin ATA-33 controller
 > - expansion: 3 64-bit PCI slots
 >              1 32-bit PCI slots
 > - 2x 16550A serial ports
 > - 1x parallel port
 > - PS/2 keyboard & mouse port
 >
 > Case:
 > The DS10 is shipped in a desktop-style case similar to the older 21164
 > "Maverick" workstations but which offers much better access to
 > components. If you intend to build a farm you can rackmount DS10 in a 19"
 > rack.
 >
 > Memory:
 > DS10 has 4 DIMM slots. DIMMs are installed as pairs. Please note that
 > DIMM pairs are not installed in adjacent DIMM sockets but rather physically
 > interleaved.
 >
 > EIDE:
 > The base model comes with a FUJITSU 9.5GB ATA disk as its boot device.
 > FreeBSD/alpha works just fine using EIDE disks on DS10.
 >
 > USB:
 > whether this works on FreeBSD on DS10 is as yet unknown.
 >
 > ** Monet
 >
 > Features:
 > - 21264 EV6 at 500 or 667 MHz
 > - 4MB L2 cache
 > - memory bus ??? +++
 > - memory ?? +++
 > - 21271 Core Logic Chipset ("Tsunami")
 > - 1 onboard 21143 ethernet controller
 > - Cypress 82C693 USB controller
 > - Cypress 82C693 PCI-ISA bridge
 > - Cypress 82C693 controller (bootable & usable for a root disk)
 > - expansion: 2 independent PCI buses (called hoses)
 >         hose 0: (the upper 3 slots)
 >              2 64-bit PCI slots
 >              1 32-bit PCI slot
 >         hose 1: (the bottom 2 slots)
 >              2 32-bit PCI slots (behind a PCI-PCI bridge)
 >
 > - 1x UltraWide SCSI port based on a Qlogic 1040 chip
 > - 2x 16550A serial port
 > - 1x parallel port
 > - PS/2 keyboard & mouse port

It also has an ess1888 sound card built into the motherboard.  Today's
-current "sorta" sees it:

sbc0: <ESS ES1888> at port 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1 on isa0
sbc0: interrupting at ISA irq 5
pcm0: <SB DSP 3.01 (ESS mode)> on sbc0
pcm0: chn_init() for record:0 failed
pcm0: chn_init() for play:0 failed

 > Case:
 > Monet is housed in a mini-tower like enclosure.
 >
 > Memory:
 >
 > Expansion:
 > Don't try to use NCR/Symbios-chip based SCSI adapters in the PCI slots
 > connected to hose 1. There is a not-yet-found FreeBSD bug that prevents this
 > from working correctly.
 >
 > The kernel config file must contain:
 > options         DEC_ST6600              # xp1000, dp264, ds20, ds10, family
 >

 > The following quirk applies
 > - One cannot put a NCR scsi controller into a slot on the secondary
 > PCI bus.
 >
 > DS20:
 >
 > Features:
 > - 21264 EV6 at +++ MHz
 > - dual CPU capable machine
 > - +++ Mb L2 cache
 > - memory bus: 256 bit ?+++
 > - memory: proprietary ?+++ DIMMs
 > 	  installed in sets of 4
 > 	  uses ECC ?+++
 > 	  16 DIMM slots
 > - 21271 Core Logic Chipset ("Tsunami")
 > - expansion: 2 independent PCI buses (called hoses)
 > 	     6 64-bit PCI slots (3/hose)
 > 	     1 ISA slot
 >
 > Case:
 > DS20 is housed in a fat minitower-like enclosure. The enclosure also
 > contains a StorageWorks SCSI hotswap shelf for a maximum of 7 3.5" SCSI
 > devices.
 >
 > CPU:
 > DS20 can have a maximum of 2 CPUs installed. FreeBSD/alpha is not currently
 > SMP-capable and will only use one CPU.

The NCR quirk should be moved out of the monet section, it applies to
all multi-hose machines (eg DS20, dp264 & UP2000).  The DS20 ships
with an NCR card in a pci slot on hose1, so one has to open the case &
move the board to get FreeBSD booting.

I think that the DS20's nickname is "goldrush"

Notice the above edits about having 2 hoses, 3 pci slots / hose

Drew