Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 14:21:53 +0000
From:      Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, jabley@clear.co.nz (Joe Abley)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pthreads

On Jul 2, 12:44am, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Does anybody know the background of posix thread support in FreeBSD? I
> > can't seem to find any docs on the background anywhere...

[snip]

> John Birrell rewrote lots of it in -current, with an eye toward
> bringing the code up to the Draft 10 standard (the ratified standard),
> and he and John Dyson did a lot of work to support a kernel
> implementation, also in -current, using rfork() and some rather
> complicated stack management.

This is basically sharing a number of kernel processes among a set
of threads, right?  Do you know if any progress was made towards
a LWP scheme?  If John Dyson's async I/O code is in place that
would help a lot on that area I think.

> John Dyson did a number of patches for CPU affinity

CPU affinity?  You mean the threading library can pass scheduling
hints to the kernel for a set of processes?

Was this threading model an interim measure until someone wrote one
based on LWP or intended to be the way that it would always be done?
There are a number of problems with this approach (outlined in
a paper called "Scheduler Activations: Effective Kernel Support for
the User Level Management of Parallelism", ask me for a copy if you
want one) althought it is much easier to implement than a LWP based
model.

Niall

--
Niall Smart.        PGP: finger njs3@motmot.doc.ic.ac.uk