Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 15:45:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Crossover Ethernet

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Brandon Fosdick wrote:

> I've been trying for two days now to get two 3.2-S boxes talking to each other
> with a crossover cable. After searching the archives it sounds like its an easy
> thing to do, for everybody else at least.
>
> Here's what I've been using.
> Computer A:
> P120, Intel EtherExpress 10/100
> ifconfig fxp0 inet 10.0.0.2 netmask 0xfffffffc
> route add 10.0.0.3 10.0.0.2
>
> Computer B:
> P200, 3Com 3c509
> ifconfig ep0 inet 10.0.0.3 netmask 0xfffffffc
> route add 10.0.0.2 10.0.0.3

Some additional suggestions.

1)  You may need to force the media types.  The Intel cards hate crossover
cables, it confuses the NWAY negotiation.  Use an ifconfig command like

ifconfig fxp0 inet 10.0.0.2 netmask 0xfffffffc media 10baseT/UTP

Also verify the ep driver is enabling the proper media.  If it isn't, use
the DOS config utility 3c5x9cfg.exe (from the driver disk) to force the
media type to utp.

> after doing the above, then type ifconfig fxp0, get "status: no
> carrier". Thought that was the problem, so replaced fpx0 board with
> NE2000T (ed0) same configuration but get "device timeout" for every
> attempted access to the board.

Your interrupt was set incorrectly, or there was no link.

How is your crossover cable wired?

Doug White