Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:34:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ben Rosengart <ben@skunk.org>
To:        NT Workstation User <gdsntusr@globaldelsys.com>
Cc:        Joe Gleason <freebsd.list@bug.tasam.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does freeBSD or any related freeBSDs support file larger than 2GB on 32bit x86 platforms

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, NT Workstation User wrote:

> Ummm, I'm not sure whether tar files count.  See the 2GB file limit under
> Linux comes from the maximum value of a 32bit signed integer.  Because the
> file system calls use those 32bit integers a file's size is limited to 2GB,
> at least if you want random access.  tar files generally aren't accessed in
> a random access fashion, instead the file is treated as a byte stream.

You're thinking of dump.  Tar goes through the filesystem interface just
like any other program -- that's why it's so portable, and also why it
doesn't preserve holes in files.

BTW, trim your lists, you shouldn't mail that many lists at once.

--
 Ben

UNIX Systems Engineer, Skunk Group
StarMedia Network, Inc.