Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 17:54:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jimd@mistery.mcafee.com (Jim Dennis)
Cc:        sebi@sorostm.ro, questions@FreeBSD.org, norbi@ltmpt.sorostm.ro
Subject:   Re: Unix for 286

> 	Xenix, Coherent, Minix.
>
> 	So far as I know none of these support TCP/IP.  Mark Williams
> 	corporation (publishers of Coherent) is defunct (last I heard).
> 	I don't know if Xenix is still available (but it was always pretty
> 	bad) so that leaves Minix.

Steph @ SCO ported the Lachman stuff under License to Xenix.

Most of the drivers didn't support "select" entry points, so it's
not as useful as it could have been otherwise, but much software
will run, if it doesn't need to, for instance, select on a tty.

You can write a select substitute using small reader processes
and token prefixing for a pipe.  It's pretty trivial, actually.
Then you read tokens from the pipe (pipe writes are atomic, so
if you preassmeble the token buffer, there is no possibility
of desynchronization).

So basically, TCP/IP was sold for Xenix for a long time.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.