Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 1997 12:10:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@denver.net>
To:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
Cc:        Gary Crutcher <gcrutchr@nightflight.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail account monitoring

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:

> Gary Crutcher wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to monitor someone's mail account.
> > How can I get copies of incoming and outgoing mail for
> > an account?  I would like for all mail this person sends

First, make sure you have all your legal ducks in a row.  You need to have
a *compelling* legal or security reason to do this, or you'll wind up on
the wrong side of the courtroom

> For the incoming mail is easy....
>
> put a  file called ".forward" without quotes :-) in his homedir and in
> this file write his login and yours ...

All customer has to do is delete the .forward.

It's far easier (and more innoucuous) to put his username in /etc/aliases
and have mail sent to two accounts simultaneously (his and "yours").

For outgoing mail, you'd have to mess with sendmail.cf  (or whatever local
mailer you use)...but all he'd have to do is set up a different SMTP
server (as long as they didn't prevent mail relaying ;-)  You could use
rudimentary packet filtering on his connection to force him to use your
SMTP server.

To "do it right", you'd probably need to trace/hijack his session with a
firewall tool...but then if he's "up to something" you probably wouldn't
need to read mail ;-)
--

John-David Childs (JC612)       @denver.net/Internet-Coach
System Administrator            Enterprise Internet Solutions