Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 13:20:17 +1000
From:      Nick Slager <nicks@albury.net.au>
To:        Rich Prillinger <richp@richp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI errors: Invalidating pack

Thus spake Rich Prillinger (richp@richp.com):

> I've been messing around trying to get SCSI to work on a
> FreeBSD box for a few weeks now.  No matter what combination
> of the following hardware/software I use, I get this error at
> some (seemingly random) time during disk-intensive activities
> (cvsup, makes, etc):
>
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Invalidating pack
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): SCB 0x1f - timed out while idle, SEQADDR == 0xa
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): Queueing a BDR SCB
> (da0:ahc0:0:0:0): no longer in timeout, status = 34a

[snip]

I went through this about 6-8 weeks ago. I'm running 2940UW Pro
controllers with 318436LW and 318275LW disks.

I disabled write caching in the SCSI BIOS and haven't seen the problem
since. There were various suggestions made at the time, including drive
firmware bugs or problems with the da driver talking to newer Seagate
drives.

From memory, someone talked to Seagate, who recommend disabling write
caching and/or tagged queuing on FreeBSD and Novell boxes. Disabling
caching has a negligible performance impact for us - ~4% downgrade at
most.

I'm not sure if a fix has been discovered, though.

HTH,

Nick.